A List to Argue About This Weekend: Best 90 Albums of the 90s

The folks at Paste are major list-makers because they know that everyone loves lists and they’re great click bait.  And yep, I’m a sucker for this stuff.

Paste’s list this weekend is the 90 Best Albums of the 1990s.  While it’s worth going through the entire thing, I just had to jump to the top ten–and yes, the album I expected to see at #1 was there.  And no, it’s not Nevermind.

In fact, Kurt and Co. only made it in at #3.  Paste’s second-best record was something of a surprise and may provide an interesting bit of music discovery for you this weekend.  The positions from 20-11 are also occupied by a a few interesting picks.

No spoilers here.  You’ll have to check things out for yourself.

5 thoughts on “A List to Argue About This Weekend: Best 90 Albums of the 90s

• February 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I'd agree with #2, and certainly the argument between their #1 and Nevermind is a strong one.

I'd have put <I>Urban Hymns</I> in my top five, which I don't think is a particularly idiosyncratic choice even if most would put it a fair bit lower. But there's no sign of it in their Top 90? Really?

• February 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

(By the way, the comment entry box says that HTML codes like <I> are allowed, and it seems that that's not actually so if you look at my previous comment there.)

• February 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

A spoiler:
    Throughout their entire multi-genre top-90 listing there is no place for Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill (1995) nor Shania Twain's Come on Over (1997). There is mid-chart room for an album by each of Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, and Bob Dylan. Plus multiple albums per other artists. I don't think I spied even one Cdn. Artist throughout their entire list.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

How can you have a top 90 albums of the 90s list and not have a single Nine Inch Nails album on there? That's how you know this list is bunk. I would like to see an Alan Cross top 90 albums of the 90s list. I know NIN would be on that list…

• February 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I think this list is terrible. Soundgarden didn't even make top 20? most of the bands in the top 20 aren't even good enough to wipe Chris Correll's ass. I agree with Kronk I would like to see an Alan Cross top 20 list, no pressure 😉