Cool!

Published on September 6th, 2019 | by Alan Cross

A Special Martin Streek Tribute TONIGHT in Toronto

A special Martin Streek tribute set for next week in Toronto. It’s been ten years since long-time Edge personality Martin Streek took his own life. He is still terribly missed by many.

Tonight (September 6), A Party for Marty will be held at The Opera House on Queen Street East. It’s open to anyone who remembers Martin and his contributions to radio, and the music and club community in Toronto and southern Ontario.

Hosted by former Edge announcer Pete Fowler, the night will also feature DJ Dhingra, DJ Craig G, and DJ Shwarma, all guys who served as DJs for Martin’s live-to-air club gigs over the decades.

Speakers will include a number of Martin’s co-workers: Maie Pauts, Brother Bill, Ivar Hamilton, and me. Invitations are out to a few more.

Tickets are $7 in advance through Eventbrite.ca and $12 at the door. Proceeds will go to one of Martin’s favourite events: The CIBC Run for the Cure.

Related Posts

10 Responses to A Special Martin Streek Tribute TONIGHT in Toronto

1. Cora Allen says:

I am sooo looking forward to this event. Great Memories and music. We have a convoy of us coming up from Buffalo.

2. Rob Gibson says:

Proud to have had some conversations with him at the club and via email. The first time I met Martin he greeted me like an old friend. He was so interested in my story. How I came to listen to NY and what I loved about it. Time would reveal we had a lot in common including some demons. I’ll always wonder why I’ve been able to fight mine and he could not.

3. Mark says:

I would go if dj dwight was gonna be there.

4. Brian says:

I wish I could be there but alas I’m in VanCity. I created this play list of all greats you’d hear from one of his live-to-air.

• Cora Allen says:

Brian,
      Fantastic playlist. You really captured the live to air era. Amazing tunes. Fly to Buffalo and you can come up with us.

5. Jay Lockwood says:

It would be great if it could be a live to air event or a podcast.

6. Dean says:

I bought two tickets for anyone to have to go in Marty’s honour. We are friends from childhood and I’d love for someone plus one to go in his honour. Please message leave a message for me here and let’s get in touch. I’ll email you the two tickets I bought. Thanks. Dean

7. Amber M Healy says:

For those of us who can’t be there tonight, we can relive it later: https://twitter.com/torontomike/status/1169951669276295171

• EntertainmentTO

Music Tech MeetUp

EntertainmentTO is the best way to expand your knowledge and network within Toronto’s Entertainment Tech community. Our mission is to inspire and empower those interested in shaping the future of Entertainment, including music, video, sports, and gaming.

EntertainmentTO is led by Alan Cross, best known nationally and internationally as host of the syndicated radio series The Ongoing History of New Music, The Edge, Q107, and more.

Join us as we bridge the gap between technology, innovation, and entertainment.

• Twitter