Every year for the past 14 years, SOCAN, Canada’s performing rights organization, holds a songwriting contest. Women dominate the finalists’ list.
First, the English list.
- Dreams Tonite” – written by Alec O’Hanley, Molly Rankin; performed byAlvvays; published by Rough Trade Publishing Canada.
- “Money” – written by Leandra Earl, Eliza Enman-McDaniel, Jordan Miller, Kylie Miller, Garrett Lee; performed by The Beaches; published by Done with Dolls Inc., Besme, administered by Kobalt Music Group Ltd.
- “Main Girl” – written by Charlotte Cardin; performed by Charlotte Cardin; published by Red Brick c/o Corico Arts.
- “Cotton Candy” – written by Jessie Reyez; performed by Jessie Reyez; published by BMG Rights Management Canada.
- “Chills” – written by James Barker, Gavin Slate, Travis Wood, Donovan Woods; performed by James Barker Band; published by Warner Chappell Music Canada, Ole Media Management LP II.
- “Play the Field” – written by Josée Caron, Lucy Niles; performed by Partner; published by Partner Mus.
- “Walkaway” – written by Jasmyn Burke, Morgan Waters; performed by Weaves.
- “Magic”– written by Eoin Killeen, Timothy Law, Patrisha Sanna Campbell; performed by Birthday Boy and Trish.
- “Healers” – written by Benjamin McCarthy, Iskwé, Ryan Somerville; performed by Iskwé.
- “Lingua Franca” – written by Neil Bednis, Christopher Laurignano, Fraser McClean, Melanie St. Pierre; performed by Casper Skulls.
Now the French list:
- “56k” – written by Simon Trudeau Cliche, Jeff Martinez, Marc Vincent; performed by LOUD; published by Productions Silence D’Or.
- “La fin du monde” – written by Philippe Bouchard, Gabriel Desjardins; performed by Philippe Brach; published by Éditions Équispec.
- “Ça va ça va” – written by Philémon Cimon; performed by Lou-Adriane Cassidy
- “Fou” – written by Andréanne A. Malette, Manuel Gasse; performed byAndréanne A. Malette; published by Productions Nia Inc., David Murphy et cie.
- “Gallaway Road” – written by Maude Audet; performed by Maude Audet; published by Éditions Dare to Care.
- “Au-delà des mots” – written by Amelie Beyries, Maxime Cote; performed by Beyries; published by Beyries Mu Inc., White Turtle Pubg (David Murphy et cie).
- “Primitif” – written by Emerik St-Cyr Labbé; arranged by Etienne Dupre, Eliott Bundock Durocher, David Marchand, Mandela Dalgeish Coupal; performed by Mon Doux Saigneur; published by Éditions Dare to Care.
- “Petite valise” – written by Émile Proulx-Cloutier; performed by Émile Proulx-Cloutier; published by Éditions de La Tribu.
- “Tout ce vacarme” – written by Simon Beaudoin, Christian David, Antoine Dumoulin Drolet, Sebastien Jean Houle, David Lagace, Christian Renaud; performed by La Famille Ouellette; published by 9338-4642 Québec inc (Disques St-Laurent).
- “Je cours” – written by Felix Dyotte; performed by Félix Dyotte andÉvelyne Brochu; published by Coyote Records.
Until June 7, music fans can now listen and vote for their favourites From May 24 to June 7, 2018, music fans are encouraged to listen to and vote for their favourite song through www.socansongwritingprize.ca. You can also use social media and on Twitter. or through social media, on Twitter using the hashtag #mySSPvote and identifying the performer’s name in the tweet.
You’re allowed to vote once per day through each platform. The winner will be announced the week of June 11.