The concert rider is the portion of the agreement between a promoter and a performer that specifies what needs the performer and his/her crew require on the day of a show. It can range from the mundane (“three electricians to report to the venue for 8am”) to the day-to-day essentials (catering for the crew) to the wonderfully goofy demands the artist requires before, during and after the show.
The Smoking Gun does a wonderful job of digging these rider requests. Most artists are quite reasonable. Some lean towards quirky. And others…well, let’s look at what Rihanna requires.
- 5 AC power outlets
- Adequate lighting for a “relaxed atmosphere”
- White drapes to cover lockers and/or brick
- 1 Humidifier
- 1 Large throw rug — plush and animal print (Cheetah, Leopard) … must be CLEAN, as she will walk on it barefoot.
- Pipe and Drape the room in Dark Blue or Black drapes with Icy Blue Chiffon draped nicely on top
- 6 Candles — Archipelago Black Forest (if you can’t get these, please let me know ASAP as we have a 2nd choice of candle for Ri).
- 4 Small, clear, square vases with White Tulips, no foliage (2nd choice: White Casablanca Lilies no foliage, 3rd choice: White Freesia, no foliage)
By comparison, Kanye is–I’ll say it–restrained:
- 1 Tub Plain Yogurt for dipping4 small Yoplait Yogurt
- 4 small Yoplait Yogurt 1 Bowl of assorted nuts
- 1 Bowl of assorted nuts1 Bowl of Sunkist Salted Pistachio Nuts (No Red Coloring)
- 1 Bowl of Sunkist Salted Pistachio Nuts (No Red Coloring)2 Packs of Extra Chewing Gum
- 2 Packs of Extra Chewing Gum1 Bottle of Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Caribbean Type)
- 1 Bottle of Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Caribbean Type)1 Box of Toothpicks
- 1 Box of Toothpicks1 750 ml bottle of Hennessey Liquor
- 1 750 ml bottle of Hennessey Liquor1 750 ml bottle of SKY or Absolut Vodka
- 1 750 ml bottle of SKY or Absolut Vodka1 Bottle of Patron Silver Tequila
- 1 Bottle of Patron Silver Tequila4 Six Packs of Heineken Beer
- 4 Six Packs of Heineken Beer
Nothing too crazy there, right? And what’s with Jack White and his guacamole jones?
- 1 dozen chicken wings (buffalo, teryaki, surprise us)
- 1 bowl of FRESH HOME-MADE GUACAMOLE (recipe below)
- 8 champagne flutes (real glass)
- 8 wine glasses (real glass)
- 8 highball glasses (real glass)
- 1 hummus & pita chips
- iPod player with sufficient volume control
- NO fluorescent lighting
- PLEASE NOTE: This is a NO BANANA TOUR. (Seriously)
Read more at Business Insider. Thanks to Bobby for the link.