That bloody Christmas song from Mariah Carey is everywhere. As of Sunday night, it was played 6,507 times on North American radio, an increase of about 2,000 spins over the previous week. And it’s only going to get worse as we get closer to Christmas. Damn those radio stations that flip to an all-Xmas format every year.
Huawei, the Chinese telecommunications company, conducted a survey in the UK to find the most annoying Christmas song ever. Guess what finished at the top?
- All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey
- Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard
- Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade
- Last Christmas – Wham!
- Fairytale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
- Baby It’s Cold Outside – Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Jackson 5
- Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
- Jingle Bells – Andrews Sisters
Odd that “Fairytale of New York,” one of the most beloved Christmas season songs of all time, is also on this list.
Strange, too, that The Guardian’s list of most annoying Christmas songs is quite a bit different.