AirPods, Apple’s wireless earbuds, have been wildly successful for the company since their introduction a few years back. I have a pair and they work great, even though I’m still self-conscious about the way it looks like I’ve got cigarettes hanging out of my ears.
Today (March 20), Apple announced the second generation AirPods with some new features.
- The new H1 chip, which was developed specifically for headphones, will connect the new AirPods faster, offer longer talk time, and hands-free Siri connectivity.
- The new versions will come with an optional wireless charging case, meaning you can just drop the case on an induction pad like later models of the iPhone. (Tech talk: We’re talking Qi-compatible charging methods.)
- An LED on the case shows charge status at a glance. You have to look inside the original case to see that LED.
- Second-gen AirPods with the standard case sell for $219 while the wireless case edition go for $269.
- If you just want to buy the wireless case, you can do that for $99.