Digital Music News has assembled 17 pieces of advice to keep you from sabotaging your music career. While a lot of these points may seem like common sense, anyone in the music biz will tell you that sense is quite uncommon.
Here are the first five:
1. Having a shitty, entitled attitude.
You wouldn’t believe how many musicians I run into believe that just because they make music they deserve to be heard.
2. Being addicted to anything.
I don’t need to explain any more, do I?
3. Relying on a label, manager or anyone besides yourself to build your career.
While labels and managers are necessary, ultimately, the onus lies on you.
4. Choosing a name that anther band is using. (And I’d add “has used.”)
Why confuse things? Besides, you’ll probably just invite a lawsuit.
5. Not having a serious web presence.
Buy a domain, fer crissakes! When your email address is [email protected], you look cheap and amateurish. And when you set up a website, don’t have a URL like www.wordpress.yourname.com, Spend $15 on your own domain!
Twelve more gems can be found here.