Be It Resolved That iTunes Is Out of Date and Needs Fixing NOW

Yep.  Totally agree.  From NBC News:

I was at a Starbucks last weekend, and I grabbed one of those “Pick of the Week” cards, one for Jeremy Piven’s new show. I felt a momentary flutter of excitement — sweet, free TV episode! In HD! But then I realized that I would have to download some huge file, and even then, I could only watch the show on the device I downloaded it to.

The concept suddenly seemed awkward … antiquated, even.

And if I liked what I saw? I could pay Apple $2.99 per episode for the privilege of downloading more huge files. As a paying subscriber of Netflix and Amazon Prime — not to mention cable TV — my final reaction was, “No thanks.”

Continue reading.

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 40+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

4 thoughts on “Be It Resolved That iTunes Is Out of Date and Needs Fixing NOW

• April 8, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I really hope there remains a market for those who still want those four gig video files. Anything more instant is crazy lossy. It's bad enough that iTunes has set the standard to 256 kbps AAC for audio.

• April 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm

All well and good until one loses their internet connection, or they're on a very limited data plan…

• April 8, 2013 at 11:50 pm

From the linked article: "[W]hat Apple should do is revisit its abandoned streaming TV approach, and allow people who purchased movies to stream them from any registered iDevice"

You mean like you've been able to do since October or so in Canada, and longer in the States, where the writer is presumably from? Yeah, that's much better than just downloading something once and not having to wait for it to buffer again.

• April 9, 2013 at 11:19 am

It's not about file sizes or the market for quality versions, it comes down to user choice. Apple has always taken the position of entitlement: you are incredibly lucky to be allowed access to apple media, and for that matter you're lucky to be able to sell your media on an apple platform. They've been able to get away with this because they had carved out a loyal sheep oops customer base, but as with all these things competition eventually moves in and you have to face reality: give your customers options or, eventually, they'll walk.
    I'm only forced to confront their horrible, restrictive software that treats you like a potential pirate when my wife gets frustrated with the BS, but she doesn't plan on buying apple next round, she's fed up. Basically, if you buy the rights to watch something, the target device should be irrelevant. I can see offering a two tier price structure for mobile/HD, but the way they work now is indeed broken. You lucky apple user!