Social media has become a monster when it comes to music. In fact, it’s become so important to the recorded music industry that Billboard, the keeper of all the major charts, has teamed up with Logitech to create a new chart ranking social media creators/influencers. By using music in their videos, these people are influencing the tastes of millions around the world.
The chart, to be published monthly, will highlight “creators who are driving music consumption through content creation.” Data is collected from TikTok, YouTube, and music streaming and sales information.
I quote this month’s Song Breaker chart from Billboard:
- Usim E. Mang @usimmango – originator of the synchronized sway to “Alors on Danse” by Stromae
- Vanessa Clark @glitchgirlmaster – popularized the “glitching” trend to “Get Ur Freak On” by Missy Elliot and “Kurxxed Emeraldz” by Luci4
- Bobby V Vivid @bobbyvvivid, – “Talk To Me” meme to “Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin’)” by T-Pain feat. Yung Joc
- Zoi Lerma @zoifishh featuring Cassidy Condie @cassidycondiee – “Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)” by Doja Cat
- Walker Hayes @walkerhayesofficial – “Fancy Like”
- Layla @layzchipz – “Twerkulator” by City Girls
- Mila De’brito @debrito_bunch – “To the guy/girl…” meme to “Never Forget You” by Noisettes
- Berta Alonso @bertualonso – #VHStape challenge to “Marlboro Nights” by Lonely God
- Noah Beck @noahbeck – “Dinero” by Trinidad Cardona
- Lizzo @lizzo – “Into the Thick of It” by The Backyardigans
You can see the rest of the Song Breaker chart here.