SOCAN, Canada’s performing rights organization, holds an annual awards program that seeks to name the best Canadian songwriter of the year. After plenty of adjudicating (full disclosure: I was a voter), the 2021 honour went to Billy Raffoul, originally from Leamington, Ontario. This was the winning track.
Billy gets $5,000, a Yamaha keyboard, and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade.
This year’s shortlist included:
- “Black Woman” – written by Emanuel Assefa, Ryan Bakalarczyk, John Fellner, Kardinal Offishall; performed by Emanuel; Kardinal Offishall published by BMG Rights Management Canada.
- “Dancing In My Room” – written by Carter Britz, Aidan Fuller; performed by 347aidan; published by Kobalt Music Publishing Canada.
- “delicate” – written by Jonah Yano, Schott Zhang; performed by Jonah Yano.
- “Dream” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
- “Frontin’ Like Pharrell” – written by Kahdijah Payne; performed by DijahSB.
- “homebody” – written by Michael Brandolino, Alexander DiMauro, Karah McGillivray, Tom Peyton, Robert Sowinski; performed by Valley.
- “No Smoke” – written by Vanessa Kalala, David Charles Fischer, Christopher Larocca, Hrag Sanbalian; performed by LU KALA.
- “Purple Carousel” – written by Sydanie Nichol, Casey Manierka; performed by Sydanie.
- “Solid” – written by Savannah Ré Simpson, Johann Deterville, Akeel Henry; performed by Savannah Ré; Savannah Ré published by Sony Music Publishing.