The Official Chart Company–yes, that’s what it’s called–has been in charge of compiling record charts in the UK for 60 years. They’re now polling the subjects of Her Majesty for their opinion on their all-time favourite song from those decades.
They started with a thousand songs which were whittled down to 60 by a panel of experts. Those 60 were subjected to a round of voting, reducing their number to 10. Then there was more voting.
Here are the finalists:
- …Baby One More Time – Britney Spears
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- Can’t Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
- Dancing Queen – ABBA
- Don’t Look Back in Anger – Oasis
- Hey Jude – Beatles
- Imagine – John Lennon
- I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
- Someone Like You – Adele
If Brithey or Whitney win, then the UK deserves to sink into the North Sea.