If you’re reading this, chances are you have an above-normal interest in music. And while there are millions of us for whom music matters deeply, there are BILLIONS of people who are happy with mainstream pop music. All they want are disposable tunes to sing along with and with a beat they can tap out on the steering wheel.
You will not change these people. Exposing them to a wider range of music will not make them any more interested in anything beyond the Top 40.
There is nothing wrong with these people. They are not less smart that us. They don’t feel the need to invest as much emotional or intellectual capital in their interactions with music This is their musical world and they’re happy to live within it.
And frankly, we need these billions of casual music fans. The profits spun off by this segment of the population help fund the rest of the industry, including and especially genres, sounds and scenes that would otherwise be too small to be promoted to the rest of the world.
With that in mind, take a look at this list of the ten most-viewed music videos in Canada over the past year (Via CTV)
- Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J by KatyPerryVEVO
- Nicki Minaj – Anaconda by NickiMinajAtVEVO
- Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass by MeghanTrainorVEVO
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off by TaylorSwiftVEVO
- #SELFIE (Official Music Video) – The Chainsmokers by The Chainsmokers
- Sia – Chandelier (Official Video) by SiaVEVO
- Ariana Grande – Problem ft. Iggy Azalea by ArianaGrandeVevo
- Shakira – Can’t Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna by shakiraVEVO
- Calvin Harris – Summer by CalvinHarrisVEVO
- Jason Derulo – “Wiggle” feat. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video) by Jason Derulo