Thanks to FYI Music for digging through a Statistics Canada report for these numbers. I quote:
Statistics Canada has released a report measuring the economic value of culture to the Canadian economy. You can delve into the findings further by reading CIMA’s overview, and StatsCan details here; otherwise, the key findings include:
- Culture GDP equalled $47.7B, and contributed 3% to Canada’s GDP, as measured from 2010 (the benchmark year of the report).
- In total, culture jobs accounted for 642,486 jobs in 2010, contributing a total of 3.7% to total employment at the national level.
- The GDP of the cultural industries was $53.4B, and contributed 3.4% to Canada’s total GDP.
- There were 707,012 jobs in the culture industries, which is a 4.1% share of all jobs in the economy.
- Ontario, Quebec, BC, Nunavut, and Nova Scotia, had the highest share of GDP attributable to culture in the provincial economies.