Last year’s Canadian Music Week–the biggest gathering in this country’s music industry–was washed out because of COVID-19. While it’s still not safe to congregate like in the Before times, there will be a CMW this year in a virtual form.
Set for May 18-21, the virtual conference will feature all the usual real-world sorts of offerings such as networking sessions, breakout rooms, one-on-one meetings, Q&A sessions, exhibitors, and more.
Who’s coming? Well, for a start…
- Chris Blackwell – Island Records Founder
- Desmond Child – Grammy winning producer, songwriter
- The Honourable Steven Guilbeault – Minister of Canadian Heritage
- Shirley Halperin – Executive Editor, Variety
- Sam Hollander – Songwriter, producer, hitmaker
- Michael Huppe – President & CEO, Sound Exchange
- Kevin Liles – Co-Founder & CEO, 300 Entertainment
- Raine Maida and Chantal Kreviazuk – Hit singer/songwriters
- Carianne Marshall – Co-Chair & COO, Warner Chappell Music
- Michael McCarty – CEO, Kilometre Music Group
- Merck Mercuriadis – Hipgnosis Music Fund
- Lawrence Mestel – Founder & CEO, Primary Wave
- Ethan Millman – Writer Rolling Stone
- Gail Mitchell – Executive Director, R&B/Hip Hop, Billboard Magazine
- Ian Montone – Founder Monotone Management Inc.
- Natalia Nastaskin – CCO, Primary Wave
- Wendy Ong – President, TaP Music
- Ryan Press – President, A&R, U.S., Warner Chappell Music
- Debra Rathwell – EVP of Global Touring at AEG
- Brittney King Rock – President, 10k Projects
- Nile Rodgers – Rock & Roll Hall-of-Famer
- Mauricio Ruiz – 8 Til Faint Management, Co-Manager, Jessie Reyez
- Portia Sabin – President, Music Business Association
- Suzy Shinn, Hit Producer and engineer
- Rob Stevenson – Partner, 300 Entertainment
To register for the conference, go here.
The Canadian Music Week Festival will also go virtual. We’ll be able to watch gigs live or get the sets later on-demand. Anyone can register for free by hitting up this website.
We’ll also see the 20th anniversary of the Independent Music Awards, which will be a livestream from the El Mocambo on May 21.
To learn more about this year’s events, go here.