Music Industry

How Do Canadians Listen to Music? Let Us Count the Ways.

Nielsen Canada has released the final version of their musical state-of-the-union for the mid-point of 2016. Here are some highlights, beginning with music consumption trends.

  • 93% of Canadians listen to music. It makes you wonder what the other 7% are up to.
  • 96% of Millennials listen to music. Again, what’s going on with that last 4%?
  • About half the population (53%) listens to music via a smartphone in a typical week. When it comes to Millennials, that number jumps to 79%.
  • Millennials listen to about 32 hours’ worth of music every week, up from 24 last year.
  • People who stream listen to the most music: 44 hours a week. That takes up one-quarter of all the hours in a week.
  • About 26% of us stream, up from 20% in 2016. Millennials’ rate is 42%, vs. 34% last year.
  • 45% of Millennials are all over getting music on video sites like YouTube and Vevo compared to 30% of the general population.
  • How big is streaming becoming? People are accessing their personal digital libraries–i.e. music they own–less. Listening is down to 35% from 38% in 2016.
  • A quarter of us still listen to CDs.

Okay, so all this must mean that radio is taking a beating. Well, no.

  • AM/FM radio is used by 64% of the population. That’s up from 61% a year ago.
  • Online radio is big, too. 62% of Canadians have listened to radio that way while the Millennial rate is 83%.
  • If you look at all radio, it reaches 70% of the population every week.

Let’s move on to live music.

  • More Canadians (59% more) are going to live events over last year. Millennial attendance is up 70%.
  • Most of us (57%) go to a concert with a headliner. If it’s a club to see a band or two, the number is 45%.
  • 22% of us went to an event with a DJ. That number increases to 34% for Millennials.

Any questions?

 

 

 

 

Alan Cross

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 40+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

Alan Cross has 37884 posts and counting. See all posts by Alan Cross

Let us know what you think!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.