The contract rider is the part of the performance contract between the promoter and the artist that specifies what special requirements the artist has in order to play a gig. Requests may be as mundane as the number of electricians needed to hook up the stage production to the building’s power to what an artist demands for the dressing room. It’s this second part of the rider where things get interesting. Business Insider looks at some particularly ridiculous requests.
- Pharrell Wiliams: A framed picture of astronomer Carl Sagan
- Celine Dion’s dressing room must be exactly 73 degrees (22 C).
- Cher requires a “wig room.”
- Michael Buble: “One local team hockey puck.”
- Mary J. Blige won’t perform unless her dressing room has a brand new toilet seat. (I also recall reading somewhere that Beyonce requires a special brand of luxury toilet paper. And it has to be red.)
- Christina Aguilera: Flinstones vitamins
- Jack White: guacamole made from his own recipe.
The whole list can be found here.