If you’ve been following the drama regarding who will and will not play Donald Trump’s inauguration, you’ll be familiar with the name Jackie Evancho, the 16-year-old America’s Got Talent also-ran who has been tagged to sing the national anthem. Trump tweeted this.
Jackie Evancho’s album sales have skyrocketed after announcing her Inauguration performance.Some people just don’t understand the “Movement”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 4, 2017
There’s plenty of statistical horseshit going on here.
- Evancho’s record is a Christmas album. In the days leading up to Christmas, it’s completely natural for such a record to see an increase in sales. In fact, almost every single seasonal album enjoyed a sales spike.
- In the week before her appearance at the inauguration was announced, it sold 6,000 copies. That’s in a nation of 320 million.
- The week after, sales increased to 11,000. Yes, that’s an increase of 94%, but 11,000 copies is still a pitifully low sales number–especially for a hyped Christmas album less than two weeks before Christmas.
- That boost to 11,000 was no doubt helped by her appearance on America’s Got Talent on December 19.
- The following week, sales sunk to 8,000 copies.
See what I mean about statistical horseshit? Billboard–the keeper of the charts–would also like to respond.