The last time I was able to present a brand new Ongoing History show to you was back in May 2011 with the airing of episode 691, which just happened to be the second half a profile of the whole Madchester era. A detour followed, but I’m now right back where we left off back then.
So: that detour. What’s been going on in the intervening three years? Well, I thought we’d use episode 692 to recap some of the, er, adventures that I’ve had during the hiatus. This includes:
- Trying to coach William Shatner how to sing.
- Testifying against Courtney Love in a precedent-setting libel trial
- Sending John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin to get me a cup of tea.
- Getting all kinds of behind-the-scenes U2 stories from producer Steve Lillywhite.
- Touching Florence + the Machine’s stuff when they weren’t in the studio.
- Looking for punk rock in Beijing with the man who signed the Ramones.
- Being kidnapped by the Happy Mondays.
- Ending up on a couch at the Chateau Marmont next to Lady Gaga.
BTW, more affiliates will be coming online across the country throughout the fall and winter. If you’re at a station who would like the show, just shoot me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you set up. And if you’re a listener, why not demand that your local station grab the show? Just sayin’, you know?