Ford Hooks Up with MOG. Radio Needs to Pay Attention.

Ford has been one of the leaders when it comes to the development of auto infotainment systems.  Their Sync system was one of the first truly serious attempts at bringing the dashboard into the 21st century.

Now For has signed a deal with MOG, the streaming music service.  Here’s what GigaOm has to say:

The key to service is an updated version of MOG’s iPhone app, which automatically connects to Sync when connected via the USB port in 2012 Sync-enabled vehicles, including the Fiesta, Fusion, F-150, Super Duty, E-Series, Mustang and Expedition. The app can relay its settings, playlists and downloaded content to the car’s stereo. It also uses the iPhone’s 3G connectivity to link to MOG’s Internet-based services, giving the driver access to MOG’s curated radio stations, as well as playlist and ‘favorite’ songs not stored within the phone.

More detail can be found here.  And once again, I wonder if traditional radio broadcasters can see what challenges lay just ahead.  As new gizmos and features are added to the dashboard, the more marginalized standard AM and FM will become.

Alan Cross

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 30+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

2 thoughts on “Ford Hooks Up with MOG. Radio Needs to Pay Attention.

  • June 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm
    Permalink

    Hi Alan,
    I've got a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium, which comes equipped with the MyFord Touch Sync system, and while the platform is still VERY buggy (especially the Bluetooth connectivity), overall, I can see it having a profound impact on listening patterns for drivers.

    The mere ease (when it works) makes it way less likely I'm going to listen to the radio, since the moment you start the car, it syncs with your bluetooth device and starts playing whatever you were playing before (whether it was through the standard player or a muisc app like Rdio). So even on a short drive, where you might not be inclined to plug in your device through the aux jack, start your app and then play your selection, the Sync does it for you.

    On top of that, it has a built in SD card slot, so with the drop in storage costs, you can simply load up an SD card with hours upon hours of music, all of which can be controlled by voice-command while driving.

    I'd say, since getting my Ford, my radio listening went from 30% (the other 70% on my iPod through the aux) down to maybe 1-2% (on the occasions that Sync bugs out).

    That said, it's still a clunky platform, but you can really see the potential in what can be built off of it in the very near future. Radio should be VERY worried.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.