The Eurovision Song Contest, the goofy international competition upon which the reputation of entire nations ride, is entering its final stages for 2016 with the grand finale set to go Saturday. If you think Idol, The Voice, [Blank] Has Talent and X Factor are interesting, none can compare to Eurovision.
It is the world’s weirdest pop contest. Nothing else even comes close.
Ahead of tomorrow’s finale, here are a few stories that illustrate how strange things can become. Download the app to keep up to date on all the gossip like
- Ukranian singer pokes the Russian bear with a song about Crimea. She calls Stalin and his soldiers “arseholes.” Twice.
- Why Russia is desperate to win.
- Feel like making a bet on who will win? Russia is the best bet at 4/7. Full odds can be found here.
- Australia has a chance to take it all. Why they’re part of Eurovision is a bit of a mystery.
- Why key changes are important to success.
- Armenia and Azerbaijan are close to going to war because Armenia displayed a provocative flag at a Eurovision press conference.