If you have an Android phone or someone who wants a streaming service other than Spotify or Apple Music, there’s a good chance you’ve at least tried Google Play, which opened for business five years ago this week. This being Google, there are all kinds of stats to report.
- Google Play operates in 190 countries
- It has one billion active users.
- The Google Play store offers access to 40 million songs, 5 million books and untold apps.
More stats are available via Forbes, but let’s focus on the music end of things. Here are the five most popular songs and albums since the service started up in 2012.
Top selling songs
- Ed Sheeran – “Thinking Out Loud”
- Lorde – “Royals”
- Taylor Swift – “Blank Space”
- Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars – “Uptown Funk”
- Pharrell Williams – “Happy”
Top selling albums
- Adele – 25
- Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP2 (Deluxe)
- Taylor Swift – 1989
- Drake – If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late
- Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly