After much nominating and voting (by music wonks like me along with members of the general public), Grandson was named winner of the 14th annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize for English Canada.
The songwriting team of by Chester Krupa Carbone and Jordan Benjamin (both from Toronto) and Kevin Hissink (from The Netherlands) share a $10,000 cash prize, a Yamaha PSR-S970 keyboard and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade.
The other nine nominees were:
• “Bad Biology” – written by Elizabeth Ball, Kathleen Monks, Benjamin Reinhartz, James Anthony Rowlinson; performed by Dilly Dally.
• “Chances” – written by Kevin Celestin, Shanice Mohamed, Anthony Pierre; performed by Kaytranada feat. Shay Lia; published by Casablanca Media Publishing Inc.
• “Elephant Man” – written by Sam Lucia, Geoff Millar; performed by So Loki; published by Owake Records.
• “Hang Ups” – written by Scott Helman, Thomas Salter, Gordie Sampson, Simon Wilcox; performed by Scott Helman; published by EMI April Music Canada, SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
• “Payback” – written by Sarah Hagen, Maxwell Pankiw, Isaiah Steinberg; performed by Bad Child.
• “She’s The One” – written by Chloé Soldevila, Miles Dupire-Gagnon, Gabriel Lambert, Zachary Irving; performed by Anemone.
• “Soundboi” – written by Dominique Dias, John Samuels; performed by Just John + Dom Dias.
• “Tortoise” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont the Second.
• “Whatever Comes To Mind” – written by Seth Nyquist, Adrian Cook; performed by MorMor.