A new non-profit dedicated to preserving the history of heavy metal has been created and announced the first inductees to their hall of fame. According to Vintage Vinyl News, the Hall of Heavy Metal History dedicates themselves “to enshrining forever, those Legendary musicians, music industry executives, DJ’s, journalists, and Producers who are often overlooked, but responsible for making Heavy Metal music what it is today”.
Hosted by American music historian and radio personality Eddie Trunk, the induction ceremony is being held at the Anaheim Expo Centre in Anaheim, California on Wednesday January 8. All proceeds from the event will go to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund.
The first nine inductees are:
- Ronnie James Dio of Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and Dio. Wendy Dio will accept at the induction for her late husband.
- Rudy Sarzo formerly of Ozzy Osbourne’s band and Whitesnake.
- Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot, along with a special 33rd Anniversary Induction of Quiet Riot, as the first band to achieve the #1 Heavy Metal Album status.
- Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead with a special guest accepting for the late guitarist.
- Ross “The Boss” Friedman, formerly of Manowar.
- Vinny Appice, formerly of Black Sabbath and Dio.
- Don Airey of Deep Purple.
- Andy Zildjian, President/CEO of Sabian Cymbals.
- Randy Rhoads of Ozzy Osbourne’s band and Quiet Riot with the Rhoads family members accepting for the late guitarist.
President and CEO Pat Gesualdo comments:
“The Hall of Heavy Metal History is dedicated to preserving the legacy of those Legendary metal musicians who are often forgotten. This event is something the fans have been wanting for a long, long, time. As a non-profit organization, we are also dedicated to working with Wendy Dio and the ‘Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund'”.
You can purchase tickets to the event on the website.