SOCAN, the Canadian performance rights collective, is once again seeking to recognize great songwriting in this country. The 16th annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize has announced the finalists for this year, 10 from English Canada and another 10 from French Canada.
The grand prize winner in each category will win $5,000, a Yamaha keyboard, and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade. The runners-up will each get $500.
As of today (June 17) and continuing until July 1, fans and listen and vote for their favourites here. You can vote once per day until the end of the voting period. Winning songs will be announced the week of July 5.
The 10 finalists for the SOCAN Songwriting Prize (English):
- “Black Woman” – written by Emanuel Assefa, Ryan Bakalarczyk, John Fellner, Kardinal Offishall; performed by Emanuel; Kardinal Offishall published by BMG Rights Management Canada.
- “Dancing In My Room” – written by Carter Britz, Aidan Fuller; performed by 347aidan; published by Kobalt Music Publishing Canada.
- “delicate” – written by Jonah Yano, Schott Zhang; performed by Jonah Yano.
- “Dream” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
- “Frontin’ Like Pharrell” – written by Kahdijah Payne; performed by DijahSB.
- “homebody” – written by Michael Brandolino, Alexander DiMauro, Karah McGillivray, Tom Peyton, Robert Sowinski; performed by Valley.
- “No Smoke” – written by Vanessa Kalala, David Charles Fischer, Christopher Larocca, Hrag Sanbalian; performed by LU KALA.
- “Purple Carousel” – written by Sydanie Nichol, Casey Manierka; performed by Sydanie.
- “Solid” – written by Savannah Ré Simpson, Johann Deterville, Akeel Henry; performed by Savannah Ré; Savannah Ré published by Sony Music Publishing.
- “Western Skies” – written by Billy Raffoul; performed by Billy Raffoul; published by Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd.
The 10 song finalists for the 2021 Prix de la chanson SOCAN, the Francophone counterpart to the SOCAN Songwriting Prize:
- “Accident” – written by Laurence-Anne Gagné-Charest; performed by Laurence-Anne.
- “Demande-moi” – written by Maude Audet; performed by Maude Audet; published by Les éditions Bravo musique inc.
- “Income Tax” – written by Jonah Richard Guimond; performed by P’tit Belliveau; published by Édition Bonsound.
- “Le cœur a ses raisons” – written by Gary Derussy, Sarahmée Nicole Ouellet, Clément Langlois-Légaré, Thomas Lapointe, Diego Montenegro; performed by Sarahmée.
- “Les amants de Pompéi” – written byThierry Larose, Alexandre Martel, Charles-Antoine Olivier; performed by Thierry Larose; published by Les éditions Bravo musique inc.
- “OK” – written by Micheal Christopher Mlakar, Adel Aoual Kazi, Émile Desilet, Clément Langlois-Légaré, Sébastien Pascal Boisseau; performed by Clay and Friends.
- “Oui Toi” – written by Léo Fougères, Clément Langlois-Légaré, Tom St-Laurent, Adel Aoual Kazi; performed by FouKi; published by FouKi.
- “Ta main” – written by Ariane Roy, Pierre Emmanuel Beaudoin, Vincent Gagnon, Dominique Plante, Cédric Martel, Roxane Azzaria; performed by Ariane Roy.
- “Tempérance” – written by Emerik St-Cyr Labbe; performed by Mon Doux Saigneur.
- “Tu m’connais trop bien” – written by Gabriel Bouchard; performed by Gab Bouchard; published by Les éditions Bravo musique inc.