Every year, SOCAN, Canada’s performing rights collective, holds a competition for emerging Canadian songwriters. Here are the English-language finalists for 2022.
- “24hrs” – written by Johann Deterville, Adam Pondang, Savannah Ré Simpson; performed by Savannah Ré; Savannah Ré and Johann Deterville published by Sony Music Publishing, Adam Pondang published by Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd.
- “By Myself” – written by Kahdijah Payne; performed by DijahSB and Harrison.
- “Can’t Let Go” – written by Jeanne Gariépy, Gabrielle Godon; performed by Laroie; published by Arts & Crafts Music Publishing.
- “Container” – written by Liam Cole, Thomas Gill, Dorothea Paas, Paul Saulnier; performed by Dorothea Paas.
- “Find A Home” – written by Andrew Lennox, Eric Lourenco, Kirsten Kurvink Palm, Adam Sturgeon, Joe Thorner; performed by Status/Non-Status.
- “Paper Thin” – written by Brendan Grieve, Nemah Hasan, Stevie Solomon; performed by Nemahsis.
- “Stacy” – written by Kevin Ekofo, Jordon Manswell, Jonathan Martin, Evan Miles, Jon Vinyl, Corey Wong; Kevin Ekofo published by ST Music Circle, Jon Vinyl published by Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd; performed by Jon Vinyl.
- “Trust Issues” – written by Erik Fintelman, Robyn Ottolini, Mark Schroor; performed by Robyn Ottolini; published by Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd.
- “want you more” – written by Amaka Queenette, Joshua Stanberry; performed by Amaka Queenette.
- “Welcome to the Garden” – written by Emily Steinwall; performed by Emily Steinwall.
The winner will receive $5,000 cash, a Yamaha workstation, and a $500 gift certificate to Long & McQuade. All the runners-up will get $500 and a $50 gift card.
There’s a fan component to this, too. Go here if you’d like to vote. The winner will be announced the week of June 13.