There are 84 Grammy Award categories, only about 10 of which will be given out during the telecast. And because we all know rock never gets any broadcast love from the Grammys, here are my picks in the rock, alt-rock, and alt-rock(ish) categories for who should win and who actually won.
Best Alternative Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental)
- U.F.O.F., Big Thief
- ASSUME FORM, James Blake
- I,I, Bon Iver
- FATHER OF THE BRIDE, Vampire Weekend
- ANIMA, Thom Yorke
Should win: A tough category, but I’d like to see Vampire Weekend win. Sorry, Thom. Next time.
Did win: Called it. Vampire weekend.
Best Rock Performance (For new vocal or instrumental solo, duo/group or collaborative rock recordings.)
- PRETTY WASTE, Bones UK
- THIS LAND, Gary Clark Jr.
- HISTORY REPEATS, Brittany Howard
- WOMAN, Karen O & Danger Mouse
- TOO BAD, Rival Sons
Should win: A serious weak and boring category this year. I can’t even be bothered to make a pick.
Did win: THIS LAND, Gary Clark Jr.
Best Metal Performance (For new vocal or instrumental solo, duo/group or collaborative metal recordings.)
- ASTOROLUS – THE GREAT OCTOPUS, Candlemass Featuring Tony Iommi
- BOW DOWN, I Prevail
- UNLEASHED, Killswitch Engage
- 7EMPEST, Tool
Should win: Tool. Please. Is there any question?
Did win: 7EMPEST, Tool. Yay!
Best Rock Song (A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal songs. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)
- FEAR INOCULUM, Danny Carey, Justin Chancellor, Adam Jones & Maynard James Keenan, songwriters (Tool)
- GIVE YOURSELF A TRY, George Daniel, Adam Hann, Matthew Healy & Ross MacDonald, songwriters (The 1975)
- HARMONY HALL, Ezra Koenig, songwriter (Vampire Weekend)
- HISTORY REPEATS, Brittany Howard, songwriter (Brittany Howard)
- THIS LAND, Gary Clark Jr., songwriter (Gary Clark Jr.)
Should win: Tool. Should be another slam-dunk.
Did win: Well, it wasn’t. The Grammy went to THIS LAND by Gary Clark Jr.
Best Rock Album (For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new rock, hard rock or metal recordings.)
- AMO, Bring Me The Horizon
- SOCIAL CUES, Cage The Elephant
- IN THE END, The Cranberries
- TRAUMA, I Prevail
- FERAL ROOTS, Rival Sons
Should win: The Cranberries record is a fine album, but how the hell did it get this far? Give it to Cage the Elephant.
Did win: And they did.