Turns out you don’t need a host for the Oscars after all. Full coverage of the Academy Awards can be found in a million other places, so I’ll just deal with the music-related items focussing on things related to Bohemian Rhapsody.
1. Queen with Adam Lambert performed.
And it was fun.
2. Wayne and Garth reunited to introduce the nomination of Bohemian Rhapsody.
How much was Wayne’s World responsible for reintroducing “Bohemian Rhapsody” to a new generation?
Enough to have Mike Myers cast as the record executive in the film…
…and to reunite Mike with Dana Carvey to introduce the Bohemian Rhapsody‘s nomination.
3. Rami Malek won for Best Actor and then fell down
This will be seen as somewhat controversial given that he didn’t sing a note in Bohemian Rhapsody, but his portrayal of Freddie Mercury was spot-on. Then he fell off the stage, hitting his head. Paramedics were called, but he’s fine.
4. Bohemian Rhapsody also won for…
Film editing, sound mixing, and sound editing.
5. And finally, other music wins included…
- Original song: “Shallow” from A Star is Born
- Original score: Black Panther
- Er, that’s it.