The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) is the organization that assigns and oversees .ca domains. It has just released a report called “Canada’s Internet Factbook” which looks at the online activities and habits of Canadian Internet users. It makes for interesting reading.
Here are the top ten facts from this report.
- Just 15% of us are off the grid for a week or more. That means no online activity at all. (Full confession: I couldn’t do it.)
- 20% of Canadians say they haven’t gone more than eight hours without being online.
- About 75% say we spend 3-4 hours online each day.
- 75% of go online while we’re watching TV. (Guilty.)
- 46% of Canadians admit to using their phone in the bathroom.
- 51% of us use laptops or desktops to go online while 34% use phones and 14% use tablets. Less than 1% use smart speakers for going online.
- 10% of Canadians say they found their spouse online.
- 75% of Canadians are more comfortable buying something online from a Canadian retailer vs. 55% for a US site.
- 80% of us are worried about malware.
- 30% think our devices are spying on us.
There is a LOT more in this report. Go here.