Here’s our weekly health check-up on Canadian music sales and streaming
As usual, Nielsen/MRC has delivered its weekly Canadian music sales and streaming stats. Where do things stand at this point in the pandemic? Let’s start with year-over-year comparisons.
- Album sales, -38.1% from this point in 2019.
- CD sales, -54.4%
- Digital albums, -20.0%
- Digital tracks, -26.2%
- Vinyl, -25.6%
- On-demand audio streams, +17%
Now let’s track things week-over-week in 2020.
- Total album sales, -15.7% from a week ago
- CD sales, -29.5%
- Digital albums, -3.2%
- Digital tracks, -3.9%
- Vinyl, -24.9% (a big comedown from the first Record Store Day of the year)
- On-demand audio streams, -1.2% (1.705 billion streams in the country last week)
The province worst hit by a drop in album sales remains Alberta with a drop of 50.5% over 2019.