What was once a list of more then 200 nominated albums became a Long List of forty. And now just ten remain in contention for the 2022 Polaris Music Prize. Here we go in alphabetical order.
- Destroyer – LABYRINTHITIS
- Pierre Kwenders – José Louis And The Paradox Of Love
- Lisa Leblanc – Chiac Disco
- Hubert Lenoir – PICTURA DE IPSE : Musique directe
- Kelly McMichael – Waves
- Ombiigizi – Sewn Back Together
- Ouri – Frame of a Fauna
- Shad – TAO
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids – Life After
- Charlotte Day Wilson – ALPHA
Not exactly the most mainstream list, is it? But that’s the charm of Polaris. Music boffins across the country vote for albums based exclusively on the value of the music, not the genre or the commercial success. In the process, the rest of the country has a chance to discover quality music they might not have otherwise heard.
The winner–to be chosen today (September 19) by the Grand Jury on the night of the Polaris Gala will receive $50,000. The nine other acts will pick up $3,000. Expect an announcement sometime around 11:00 tonight. The CBC has all kinds of coverage lined up.
If you want to listen to all the nominated albums, go here.