This email arrived from Candace in Fort McMurray dealing with the awful fire situation. It’s time for a vacation.
In the next few months, I am road tripping Canada, six weeks to the east coast, two weeks to the west coast. Where are some cool Canadian music destinations I must visit besides The National Music Centre in Calgary, 25 Dockside Drive in Toronto [home to Corus Radio and 102.1 the Edge!] and, of course, Kingston Ontario. What is your expert opinion?
Let’s crowdsource this problem. Where do you suggest Candace visit? Some suggestions:
- You MUST go to the Lower Deck in Halifax (Kathryn)
- The Key to Bala in Bala, Ontario (Wyatt and about six others)
- How about Kingston (the origin of The Hip) and PEI for the home of Stompin’ Tom Connors? (Jen)
- I want to suggest the Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg. Also a maybe a place called The Nook. (Simon)
- Two of the better music venues I’ve crossed in my travels that you haven’t mentioned are Plan B in Moncton NB and The Casbah in Hamilton. Always passing new and upcoming acts through their doors as well as drawing in established acts. Have a look at their lineups. (Gary)
- Please tell Candace to visit The Split Crow and The Lower Deck in Halifax. Both are awesome for live, local music. (Lynne)