The coronavirus crisis continues to decimate physical music sales across Canada. Let me count the ways:
- Total album sales compared to last year at this time are down 37.9%.
- CD sales are HALF of what they were from a year ago (-50.1%)
- Digital album are hurting with a drop of -23.7%.
- Digital tracks are down by 27.3%
- And vinyl is running 31.6% behind 2019.
- Meanwhile, audio streaming is up 16.6% from last year.
But if we look at things through a more recent lens, there’s a little good news.
- Total album sales were up 22.9% from the previous week.
- CD sales were up 47.4% in a week.
- Vinyl was up 16.5% week-over-week.
Hang in there. This will pass. Eventually.