Midia Research has just issued a study on YouTube. The numbers are mind-boggling.
- Music videos are the most popular video category, accounting for 32% of all views. When you consider that between 1 billion and 5 billion videos are watched every day, that works out to 1,600,000,000 music videos. Every day.
- These views generate 21% of YouTube’s revenue. That worked out to around $3 billion USD in 2017.
- YouTube is particularly popular in Brazil. 73% of 16-19 year-olds in that country are YouTubers.
- If you expand things to all consumers in all countries, YouTube is the main way people 16-44 discover music.
- Videos with more than a billion views now average 121 days to reach that mark. Compare that to the 462 days it took in 2015.
- YouTube gets called out for low royalty payments, but if you look at the platform’s worldwide reach, the overall average of payouts is brought down by ad rates in emerging nations like India. Ads cost less there due to the local economy but because usage is so high, this brings down the overall payout numbers.