How do Canadians engage with music? The 2022 study is out.

Luminate (né MRC Data né Nielsen SoundScan) has released a sneak-peek of their Canada Music 360 Study, an annual look at how we Canadians engage and interact with music. More will be released with the full report, but here are a few top-line pieces of information.

  • 74% of the general population of Canada listens to music. Makes you wonder what with the other 26%.
  • 60% of Canadian music listeners discover new music via the radio.
  • Radio is not dead. Far from it. In fact, there’s been a growth in music listeners who tune into radio of 7% compared to 2020.
  • 90% of Canadian music listeners stream music.
  • 33% of music listeners say they’re going to subscribe to a streaming music service sometime in the next six months.
  • 70% of social media users love music-related activities
  • 50% of the Canadian population plan to attend a live music event in the next 12 months, but half of those will NOT go if things with COVID don’t get better.

The full report will go deeper into music behaviors and preferences, the role of technology, what music formats are hot (or not), the role of playlists, and more. Stand by.

Alan Cross

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 40+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

One thought on “How do Canadians engage with music? The 2022 study is out.

  • March 31, 2022 at 10:46 am
    Permalink

    These stats don’t seem to line up:
    – 90% of Canadian music listeners stream music.
    – 33% of music listeners say they’re going to subscribe to a streaming music service sometime in the next six months.

    Perhaps it is supposed to be 33% of the 10% of listeners who do not currently steam intend to subscribe. Or maybe it is 33% of listeners plan to pay for a streaming service? If the latter, I don’t understand the number because we don’t have a baseline of who is paying of the 90%. Can you clarify please.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.