Luminate (né MRC Data né Nielsen SoundScan) has released a sneak-peek of their Canada Music 360 Study, an annual look at how we Canadians engage and interact with music. More will be released with the full report, but here are a few top-line pieces of information.
- 74% of the general population of Canada listens to music. Makes you wonder what with the other 26%.
- 60% of Canadian music listeners discover new music via the radio.
- Radio is not dead. Far from it. In fact, there’s been a growth in music listeners who tune into radio of 7% compared to 2020.
- 90% of Canadian music listeners stream music.
- 33% of music listeners say they’re going to subscribe to a streaming music service sometime in the next six months.
- 70% of social media users love music-related activities
- 50% of the Canadian population plan to attend a live music event in the next 12 months, but half of those will NOT go if things with COVID don’t get better.
The full report will go deeper into music behaviors and preferences, the role of technology, what music formats are hot (or not), the role of playlists, and more. Stand by.