Study after study shows that listening to music at work increases employee satisfaction and productivity. Yet so many workplaces won’t allow employees to listen while they work. Will that change when everyone has to go back to the office after COVID? A new study (it’s from the UK, of course; aren’t they all?) takes a look at the situation. How does this compare with where you work?
- 61% of offices in the UK don’t place music. This is despite 54% of workers saying they like listening to music while they work.
- 32% of office workers end up arguing over what music should be played. That includes fighting over what radio station should be played.
- 42% like for music to fill the sience.
- 11% dislike music being played in the office.
- For those who like music at work, 42% like the radio. However, 16% also like to listen to podcasts.
- 19% of people over the age of 55 don’t like music at work. ANY music.
Maybe the answer is headphones. That’s not always possible, but it’s could be a compromise in some situations.