Shazam, the Apple-owned app that magically identifies songs by listening to them, is used by people all over the world when they chance upon an unfamiliar song. The theory is that by analyzing how often just-released songs are being Shazamed, we can gauge initial interest in a track and thereby perhaps extrapolate the future global popularity of both the song and the artist. Apple also says that Shazam has “unique predictive data and algorithms.”
Here are the five new artists to whom we should be paying attention.
- Ayra Starr: A Nigerian singer-songwriter with a cool Afro-pop sound.
- DannyLux: This Mexican singer is also big in certain corners of the TikTok world.
- Lyn Lapid: She first found purchase in Brazil, Indonesia, the US, and six other countries. Mellow and soulful.
- Sad Night Dynamite: A hard-to-descibe act that blends electronic, hip-hop, and Britpop. They’re from South Africa.
- STAYC: Yet another K-pop girl group.
Shazam has posted this playlist if you want to check out any of the above.