COVID-19 continues to ravage all areas of the Canadian retail sector, including the sales of recorded music. Here are the latest sales and streaming stats.
- Total album sales are 38.2% below where they were at this point in 2019.
- CDs are down by a whopping 51.1% year-over-year.
- Digital albums are softer by 23.1%
- Digital tracks are down 26.9%
- Vinyl is down by 31.1%
- On-demand music streams are about equal to where they were a year ago (~1.62 billion streams).
Now let’s compare things week-to-week.
- Total album sales are 7.3% lower than last week.
- CDs are down 4.8%
- Digital albums are down 12.9%
- Digital tracks about even (+0.6%)
- Vinyl is a bright spot with a gain of 24.1% week-over-week.
- On-demand music streams are flat (-0.8%)
By the way, the province that has seen the biggest drop in album sales year-over-year is Quebec (-46.3%) with Alberta second (-44.1%).