Back in the day when money flowed like water through the music industry, radio stations, record labels, and record stores teamed up to create special compilations that could be sold across the country. The most famous of these projects was MuchMusic’s Big Shiney Tunes collections, several of which sold around a million copies.
We at 102.1 the Edge did the same sort of thing, too. On May 21, 1996, this disc came out. Ex-CFNY music director Ivar Hamilton, then working at Polygram, curated the whole thing. I remember writing the liner notes. (Via Scot Turner)
I wish I could say that this is now a collector’s item but Discogs.com says that the most anyone will pay for it is $14.46,
- Charlatans, The Only One I Know
- Love and Rocks, Yin and Yang and the Flowerpot Man
- James, Laid
- New Order, Let’s Go
- Happy Mondays, Step On (91 Mix)
- Pixies, Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
- Quicksand, How Soon is Now (Smiths cover)
- Dead Can Dance, The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
- The La’s, There She Goes
- Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart
- Bauhaus, Bela Lugosi’s Dead
- Catherine Wheel, The Spirit of Radio (Rush cover commissioned especially for this collection).