Last of the Old Time CFNYers, Dave Bookman Leaves The Edge

If you’re anywhere near Toronto or familiar with the history of CFNY/The Edge, you know all about Dave Bookman. The guy was all over the station for a couple of decades.

Live in Toronto. Weekend guy.  Afternoon guy.  Evening guy.  The Indie Hour.  The guy who has numbers for all manner of musicians, from the newest indie act to Dave Grohl.  An amazing interviewer.  Host of Nu Music Night at the Horseshoe for a generation.

I first met Bookie sometime in the late 80s/early 90s (sorry, memory is foggy).  I was a co-worker for a decade-and-a-half before I became his boss.  When Brother Bill moved west to a job with CFOX in Vancouver (he informed me 15 minutes after I assumed the job), I instantly made Bookie the afternoon guy.  He stayed there the entire time while I was program director.

He remains one of the best interviewers I’ve ever seen and heard.  His interview with all four members of U2 when they made their guerilla stop at the 228 Yonge Street studio a couple of years ago was a masterpiece.  If you can find video of that, watch it.  It’s a master class on how to handle the Biggest Band in the World.

Bookie also knew the names of every guy who runs a hot dog cart below Bloor St.  That comes in more handy that you might think.

When I moved on, Bookie stayed in the afternoon for a while before transitioning to evenings.  And now, he’s leaving.  To do what?  No clue.  But this is his decision.  He’s adamant about that.

I knew about this last week but the news is just breaking today.  Check out a couple of stories on Bookie from Now and The Star.

And yes, he’s the last of the CFNY oldtimers.  But to everything there is a season.  Can’t stop change, you know?

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 40+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

5 thoughts on “Last of the Old Time CFNYers, Dave Bookman Leaves The Edge

• December 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Damn, gonna miss Bookie. Best of luck to him wherever his future leads.

• December 11, 2012 at 12:17 am

sadly..The Edge lost it's Edge long ago..
    truly a tragedy..
    it has been unbearable to listen to for quite a few years now.
    luckily I am old enough to remember the good old days when it rocked, had intelligent DJ's who actually care and know about music- instead of the pablum fed personalities that lower your IQ just listening to them. that they have running the show – especially the weekdays..and yet she is still there – when veterans leave.
    it is true though—You Can't stop change
    just feel sorry for the kids nowadays.. that never got the blessing of hearing CFNY- The Edge in its' prime- they should change the call letters.. cause it isn't the same station anymore..
    good luck to all the former DJ's.. and thank you for rockin' it out – peace!!!

• December 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• December 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This is sad news indeed. Bookie is the last direct connection I had with better days at the Edge, or CFNY as I prefer to call it. Having been a listener of 102.1 since the end of 1977, I have seen many a great on-air personality come and go, and some not so great. Dave Bookman was in the top class of deejays for his knowledge of music, quick wit, deft handling of callers and his premium interviewing skills. He will be sorely missed and the Toronto radio community has just taken a big hit.

• December 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Alan, I think we all get to say the famous Dr. Seuss line now – "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Yes, the end of (another) CFNY era. Continued success sir, and I look forward to your next chapter, Bookie!