Well, that’s convenient. The last chart week of 2020 ended at 11:59 pm December 31, 2020. Here’s the final look at music sales and streaming stats for the year beginning with the year-over-year figures.
- Total album sales, down -33.8% for the year.
- CD sales, -48.4%. Just 2,843,252 CDs were sold in Canada over the last 12 months.
- Digital albums, -18.5%
- Digital tracks, -25.9%
- Vinyl LPs, -12.9%. Last year, 1,033,582 vinyl albums were sold. This year saw unit sales of 899,931.
- On-demand audio streams, +16.1%. That translates to 96,858,513,224 streams for the year.
Now we can look at week-over-week sales where we can see the effect of COVID-19 lockdowns on Boxing Day sales/
- Total album sales, -52.2%
- CD sales, -73.8% (!!!)
- Digital albums, -4.7%
- Digital tracks, +24.2%
- Vinyl LPs, -61.6%
- On-demand audio streams, -10.7% (1.709 billion streams in the country last week)
Finally, as a wrap-up to 2020, here’s a look at total album sales by region.