This site is largely sustained by Google AdSense. If you’re at all familiar with how that works, you’ll know that a site can be flagged if there’s content that the Almighty Alphabet Algorithm finds unacceptable. Therefore, I must tread carefully with this new actual, legitimate, I-shit-thee-not news story.
Back in the 60s, there was a cabal of groupies led by Cynthia Albritton, also known as “Plaster Caster.” As part of an art project, Cynthia and her friends embarked on a mission to create casts of the penises of famous musicians. She died earlier this year at the age of 74.
One of the most valuable items in the collection was the dong of Jimi Hendrix, the first one she ever made for a musician. That plaster phallus has now been donated to The Icelandic Phallological Museum. This is a real place in Reykjavik.
The museum has a collection of more than 200 schwanzes from both land and sea mammals. It’s a labour of love by founder Sigurður Hjartarson and is currently curated by Hjörtur Gísli Sigurðsson. The Jimi Hendrix piece is a real prize for the museum.
This will no doubt create a stampede of collectors looking to get their hands on the rest of what Cynthia made which appears to number 77. Still up for grabs:
- Pete Shelley (The Buzzcocks. I did not make that up. Unfortunately, the mold cracked and did not survive.)
- Chris Connelly (Revolting Cocks. Seriously.)
- Ronnie Barnett (The Muffs. Uh, okay.)
- Danny Doll Road (Demolition Doll Rods)
- Eric Burdon (Animals, War)
- Zal Yanovsky (Lovin’ Spoonful)
- Clint Mansell (Pop Will Eat Itself)
- Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys)
- Martin Atkins (PiL, Killing Joke, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails)
- Ariel Pink
Cynthia also cast the breasts of female musicians:
- Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
- Laetiitia Sadier (Stereolab)
- Suzi Gardener (L7)
A full list can be found here.
So Google: What do you think?