Esquire has an interview with the Navy SEAL who shot Osama Bin Laden in which he brings up the issue of interrogation.  I quote:

He also insists that when it came to interrogation, repetitive questioning and leveraging fear was as aggressive as he’d go. “When we first started the war in Iraq, we were using Metallica music to soften people up before we interrogated them,” the Shooter says. “Metallica got wind of this and they said, ‘Hey, please don’t use our music because we don’t want to promote violence.’ I thought, Dude, you have an album called Kill ‘Em All.

“But we stopped using their music, and then a band called Demon Hunter got in touch and said, ‘We’re all about promoting what you do.’ They sent us CDs and patches. I wore my Demon Hunter patch on every mission. I wore it when I blasted bin Laden.”

In case you aren’t aware, Demon Hunter is a Christian metal band.

(Via Metal Injection)

4 thoughts on “Metallica Doesn’t Want Their Music Use for Torture. Christian Metal Band is Okay with It.

• February 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm

As a Christian, who listens to music from all persuasions of faith, I find this saddening.

• February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

As a music fan, who listens to music from many persuasions of faith, I find this highly amsuing.

Demon Hunter is being smart. Why not get the word out about your music? Metallica, although I love everything they've done, are band now at a level where they think about politics as well as music. I'm guessing a certain drummer in Metallica has the biggest part in their refusal.

Ah well, it generates publicity for all, and at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? Getting the message of metal to all?

• February 13, 2013 at 1:57 pm

JMJ, I'm a Christian as well and like you i appreciate all types of music.

I think you might be reading too much into what is said about Demon Hunter's stance on this.

I don't know the whole context of this story so it IS possible that, like you, I need to be saddened about Demon Hunter's approach to this situation, but look at what was said here on this site.

"We're all about promoting what you do." — what is it that they meant by saying "promoting what you do"? Violent physical torture? Non-physically-violent means of extracting information? The overall war in Iraq?

There's just not enough information here to condemn them.

It is certainly interesting and I'll likely try to dig up some more information to understand their stance fully.

As for Metallica, they were probably just pissed they weren't getting royalties.