Mining Twitter Data for Information on Canadian Music

Twitter is always making a push to get more involved in the music habits of its users. Here are their latest findings:

  • 96% of Canadians on Twitter are interested in music. My question: What are the other 4% doing?
  • Canadian Twitter users spend more than 10 hours a week listening to music. About 18% are more likely to stream music online than non-Twitter users.
  • The most-followed Canadian artists are:
  1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber)
  2. Drake (@Drake)
  3. Avril Lavigne (@AvrilLavigne)
  4. Carly Rae Jepsen (@carlyraejepsen)
  5. Shawn Mendes (@ShawnMendes)
  • 66% of Canadian Twitter users say they don’t mind spending money on festivals.
  • The 5 most-mentioned upcoming festivals (based on data from January 1-May 26) are:
  1. Boots and Hearts Festival – Oro-Medonte, Ontario (@BootsandHearts)
  2. WayHome Music & Arts – Oro-Medonte, Ontario (@wayhomefestival)
  3. RBC Bluesfest – Ottawa, Ontario (@ottawabluesfest)
  4. Osheaga Festival Musique et Arts – Montreal, Quebec (@osheaga)
  5. Le Festival d’été de Québec – Québec City, Québec (@FestivalEteQc)

Alan Cross

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 30+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.