Published on November 18th, 2015 | by Alan Cross0
Latest News from the Bataclan Massacre in Paris (18 Nov 2015)
More details about Friday night’s horrible events in Paris are coming to light. I will continue to update this post as long as new information comes out. Meanwhile, stay aware of possible hoaxes.
Here’s the latest.
- Eagles of Death Metal promise some kind of statement on the attacks very soon.
- Sales of EODM music has soared since the attacks all around the world.
- Josh Homme’s charity is out to raise money for the families of the victims.
- The memorial fund for EODM’s murdered merch man has gone beyond $80,000 USD.
- Nick Alexander, a British citizen, working as the merch manager for Eagles of Death Metal, was killed in the attack. Additional details on Nick can be found here
- The Observer published this tribute to Nick entitled “We Are All the Road Crew.”
- On Monday (November 16) Universal Music, the Eagles of Death Metal’s label, held a moment of silence at noon local time in its offices around the world. Following that, they encouraged staff to play rock records REALLY LOUD.
- The owners of Le Bataclan have released this statement on Twitter.
- They have also asked people to stay away from the venue.
- There were seven suicide bombers involved in the attacks, three of whom were French.
- Three brothers were reportedly involved in the attacks. One, Abdeslam Salah, who was born in Belgium, is still out there.
- Details on the manhunt. Was a woman involved?
- Iraqi spies had apparently warned French authorities of impending trouble.
It appears that the terrorists used the Sony PlayStation 4 to communicate with each other.The story about the attackers using the Playstation 4 network may have resulted from a reporting error.
- Why you shouldn’t believe everything you see/read/hear about the massacre on social media.
- The Deftones, who were scheduled to play the Bataclan on Saturday night, left the Eagles of Death Metal show just before the shooting started.
- Watch this. What sounds like drums is actually gunfire.
- This is a Periscope stream from the concert just before gunfire broke out. (Via NY Post) You can bet that police are combing through every single cell phone that was at Le Bataclan for more pictures and video.
- Does this video show the gunmen?
- More video: This pregnant woman clung to a ledge as she tried to escape the bloodbath.
- This video is related to the above picture.
- Eagles of Death Metal have officially canceled their tour.
- An employee of Mercury Records, Eagles of Death Metal’s label, was killed in the attack.
- Metallica paid tribute to the employee of their record company.
- There’s been an outpouring of support for Eagles of Death Metal in Joshua Tree, California.
- The music world continues to come together in grief over the tragedy.
- U2, who was supposed to play two shows in Paris this weekend, one of which was set for HBO, visited the site of the massacre.
- Bono had this to say about the attacks.
- Bono also spoke on Irish radio about the attacks.
- Madonna has this speech at show in Stockholm. It’s not going over well.
- Florence + the Machine did this at a gig in Sydney.
- Here’s Emily Haines from Metric speaking from the stage in Mexico. Translation: “I’d like to dedicate this moment to the people in Paris, epecially to our Bataclan’s friends. We played there just last month and we said this with deep sadness in our hearts to think in all the people we’d lost.” (Via Hector)
- British band The Vamps lost two members of their team in the killings.
- Along with the Foo Fighters, Motorhead has canceled concerts. So has Marilyn Manson and Papa Roach. (More cancellations here.)
- MGMT wrote this letter to the people of Paris.
- Prince has canceled all his European shows.
- Michael Rapino, the head of Live Nation, released this statement.
- Lucien Grange, the head of Universal had this to say.
- Concert promoters are reviewing security measures.
- Here’s a harrowing story of escape.
- Video from outside the venue on Saturday morning.
GRAPHIC IMAGE WARNING! This is a picture of the inside of the Bataclan following the attack. I post the link here because if we’re going to confront the horror of this event and what it really means, we have to look terror in the eye. However, I want to give everyone the choice of clicking it or not.
- ISIS, who is claiming responsibility, calls this “the first of the storm.”
- Anonymous has declared war on ISIS.
- One witness reports the gunmen deliberately targeting fans in wheelchairs.
- The explosive used by the suicide bombers is terrifying.
- The Mirror has some excellent coverage here.
- The Daily Mail has plenty of pictures and video. There’s also this link.
- Breaking News is following the situation here.
- Dead silence before the Leafs-Canucks game at the ACC Saturday night. “O Canada” was then sung entirely in French.