Chartmetric spends all its time analyzing trends in music consumption and has just issued its semi-annual report. With everything that’s happened so far in 2020, how has music fared?
The company tracked about 2.4 million artists(!!!) across platforms like Spotify, TikTok, YouTube, and many others. Here’s what we know.
- Beabadoobee saw the greatest increase in monthly Spotify plays with a rise of 1,932% (1.5 million plays to 30 million). In second place was DJ Topic, a German DJ, who saw things jump 1,600%.
- When it comes to YouTube, Trevor Daniel saw the greatest gain in viewers with a jump of 2,819% ( 6.79 million views to almost 200 million).
- The social media champ is Brazilian artist Gabi Martins, who enjoyed a 615% increase in Instagram followers.
- The top TikTok song is “Banana” feat. Shaggy (DJ Fle – Minisiren remix) with 25 million posts. That worked out to 87 million listens on Spotify and 31 million views on YouTube. That shows the power of TikTok.
- Finally, the song that was synced most for TV was–wait for it–“Who Are You” by The Who, which is 42 years old. This is one of the few rock songs to show up anywhere in the analysis.