SOCAN announced the finalists for the 12th annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize. This competition celebrates the amazing talent of emerging Canadian artists. A selection of 10 English and 10 French songs exhibit musicians from a wide range of genres. To determine the winner, music fans now have the opportunity to vote for their favourite song, either on the website or on Twitter with the artist’s name and the hashtag #mySSPvote. Fans can vote once per day for each of the English and French prize competitions. Winning songs are set to be announced the week of July 10.
For the first time ever in the SOCAN Songwriting Prize History, fans can vote for a single nominee, Charlotte Cardin, in both the English and French categories.
The 10 English finalists:
- “Acid Test” – River Tiber; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
- “Big Boy” – Charlotte Cardin.
- “DVP” – PUP.
- “Figures” – Jessie Reyez; published by BMG Rights Management.
- “Glowed Up” – Kaytranada featuring Anderson .Paak; published by Watch and Learn/BMI, PULSE, Casablanca Publishing.
- “Push + Pull” – July Talk; published by July Talk Music Inc., GalleryAC Music.
- “Shithole” – Weaves.
- “We Don’t Know ” – The Strumbellas; published by Domino Music Publishing.
- “Won’t Live Here ” – Daniel Caesar; published by Kobalt Music Publishing & Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
- “Work” – Charlotte Day Wilson; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
The 10 French finalists for the the Francophone counterpart, Prix de la chanson SOCAN:
- “Apprendre à mentir” – Lydia Képinski; published by Chivi Chivi.
- “Éclat” – Alexe Gaudreault; published by John Nathaniel prod, Musicor.
- “Explosif” – Dead Obies; published by Third Side Music.
- “Faufile” – Charlotte Cardin.
- “J’aurai 100 ans” – Beyries avec Louis-Jean Cormier.
- “Je pense à toi” – Bernhari; published by Editorial Avenue.
- “L’amour véritable est aux rebelles” – performed by Gazoline; published by Ambiances Ambigües / L-Abe.
- “Les ferrofluides-fleurs” – Klô Pelgag; published by Coop Les Faux-Monnayeurs.
- “Nord-Est” – performed by Rosie Valland; published by Ambiances Ambigües.
- “Rex” – performed by Paupière; published by Lisbon Lux