The class of 2017–the 32nd annual class since this thing started–has been announced. Here’s who will make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Pearl Jam: Can’t argue, although knowing Pearl Jam, they’re probably a little embarrassed by this kind of attention.
- Tupac Shakur: No argument from me.
- Joan Baez: Probably long overdue. After all, she was an influence on Dylan and other back in the 60s.
- Yes: Regardless what you think of prog, the bands like Yes did (a) move the artistry of rock to new levels; and (b) piss off people with their noodling that some of them went on to form the first punk bands.
- Electric Light Orchestra: Prog lite. Fine.
- Journey: Um…
Chic, who had been nominated eleven times, will not make it. However, frontman Nile Rodgers will receive a special Award for Musical Excellence. Meanwhile, Kraftwerk, one of the most influential bands of all time–their DNA fan be seen across multiple genres ranging from techno and industry to hip hop and dance–won’t be inducted. That’s criminal.
The whole event will take place at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn on April 7.