Word of Leonard Cohen’s passing came around 9pm ET last Thursday night, just three hours before the weekly charts were closed. Yet in that three hours, interest and consumption of his music exploded. This is what happens when people have access to any music they want anytime they want it.
According to BuzzAngle Music, we know the following:
- From November 4-9, the entire Cohen catalogue sold about 3,500 albums. From 9pm to 12m on November 10–the night we learned the news–his one-day sales figure was 3,350.
- Another 15,100 albums were sold on November 11-12. The new album, You Want It Darker, accounted for 9,300 units of those. It’s a shoe-in for #1 this week.
- His greatest hits album, The Essential Leonard Cohen, is on track to finish the week in the top five.
- In the two days after the news broke, Cohen songs were streamed 1.9 million times in Canada. The most popular song? “Hallelujah.”
- There are 13 Cohen releases in the Canadian Top 100 right now.