Synesthesia is that interesting neurological condition where the senses overlap. Some musicians say that they can “see” musical notes in the forms of things like colours, and this can help inform them on how to write and perform songs.
- Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy says that all numbers and letters feel like colours to him.
- Billy Joel says that vowels and consonant sounds produce different colours in his head.
- Tori Amos talks about the “light creatures” music summons in her head.
- Lorde, Pharrell Williams, and John Mayer also have forms of synesthesia.
- And so does Coldplay’s Chris Martin. When he thinks of songs, colours often come to mind and much Coldplay material is written while being under the influence of those colours.