Here are some miscellaneous unusual facts about Soundgarden:
- Kim Thayil’s fourth-grade girlfriend went on to sing soprano for the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
- Kim went to high school in Chicago with Bruce Pavitt, the guy who would later become one of the founders of Sub-Pop records.
- Soundgarden was one voted “the ugliest band in America” by the readers of Sassy magazine.
- The title of the Superunknown album was inspired by a clown called JP Patches who appeared on a Seattle children’s show in the 1970s.
- The official title of the artwork seen on the album is “Screaming Elf.” No one seems to know why.
- Chris Cornell sang so hard during the sessions that he actually ruined a series of expensive microphones.
Check out Thursday’s piece on David Bowie’s legendary eyes. And don’t forget to check out my podcast The Ongoing History of New Music where you listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google, Stitcher, or wherever you get your on-demand audio.